9.12.10

Cellphonic robots.

Most of the time when I blog I rant about particular subjects. The reason being, those subjects are often things I find myself struggling with and most of the time I'm lecturing myself via blogpost. Well, here I am again, blogging about yet another thing that God is pointing out in my life that needs some evaluating.

So let's start off with 100 % complete honesty...

I am addicted to social media. (And yes, I say this as I'm writing a blog, oh the irony ;) )
If this is you, say it with me haha...

"I am addicted to social media"

I realized that its true, the first step is admitting you have a problem. Now some people may think "well come on it's not that bad, at least its not drugs, alcohol or sexual addictions." Yeah, you may be right in a physical sense but to God, all these things affect our spiritual health.

Now, I don't want you to think I'm saying social media is wrong or evil, what I am saying is anything that takes precedence or even the place of God is indeed an idol. Do you ever notice that our generation talks so much but we rarely ever have to open our mouths? These days, it's so ridiculously easy to get onto social networks like facebook and twitter that this method of communication has become THE method of communicating.

I have an iPhone, so yeah I would say that the world of communicating has dramatically changed for me haha. I mean, if I need to check my e-mail BAM its right there. If I need to tweet a funny picture BAM its done. If I get bored and need to stalk someone on facebook, BAM instant connection. Notice how I used the word need? Sometimes I make my phone out to be a need. "Ah, where's my phone?!" or "Hang on, I'll meet you in the next room, just gotta grab my phone" I can't tell you the amount of times that I've frantically looked for my phone or expressed the urgent need of having my phone in front of me at all times. As I sit here and type that I laugh at myself but the sad part is I actually say that. What are the chances of something actually worth my time happening from one step into another room?

They say, whoever they may be haha, that you usually get frustrated with things that people do that you yourself actually do quite often. I learned that this week. I've been walking around school, the grocery store, the street, just about anywhere and I see people glued to their phones while they are in a conversation face to face with someone else. Sounds pretty ridiculous right? Get this. Once I walked by a restaurant, and saw two people on a date. The server came, put the food down and guess what the couple was doing? Yup, you guessed it. Both on their phones not uttering a single word to each other. Not even a thank you to their server for bringing them their food. What is that?? Well, to be honest, that's me. And that's pretty sick, not in cool and hip terms, but actual sickness.

Now, like I said, I'm talking to myself first and foremost here but I wonder if other people feel the same frustration with their behaviour. I mean, is it really necessary to check our phones 10 times in the span of a 20 minute chat? Probably not. Actually, scratch that, not at all. After seeing my behaviour being presented right before my eyes, I want to be more aware of how I spend my time. Now, I'm sure some of you may have pledged the same commitment one time or another in the past and well, so have I. But most of the time I've failed in doing so because frankly I try to change things on my own. Doesn't work. But, the amazing news is God desires for us to change and be more like Him. And if we ask, He will give us the strength. That's awesome isn't it?

I'm not here to say "stop tweeting!" or "get off facebook!" because truthfully, that's not what I'm going to do. I think social media is a great tool and I think in many ways it can be used for good, (like this blog post ;) ) I mean sometimes you do have something funny to share with other people or you want to keep in touch with someone that lives far from you and that's cool. But it all comes down to the heart and where your treasure actually is found.

I know for myself, it's time to put the cell phone away every now and then and focus on what actually matters; the Word of God, prayer, and taking the time to genuinely care for family and friends.

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. - Ephesians 5:15-16

Life's too short to be glued to a piece of metal and plastic.


melody

4 comments:

  1. Baby Baby!
    Amen! I agree completely

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed it, sistah.
    It was actually super easy for me before Patrick ever had a cellphone because.. well, he didn't have one. I never had anybody to text, it was my random "for emergencies only" tool and I never understood the obsession with texting. I sort of get it now.. but not really.
    I'm not even going to point out specific things I liked about this, because everything is so SO right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, the cell phone is the only social media instrument I don't use. I have one, and it's handy when needed, but it doesn't have wifi and I couldn't text to save my life. Well, maybe if my life needed saving I'd be able to figure it out... That said, I too am addicted to facebook, blogging and twitter. My email is always up and yeah, I check it whenever I hear that ring...sad but true. However, as an author with her first book coming out, I'm excited that I'll be able to promote my work online and get the word out quickly. I'm also more than a little nervous, because if people don't like it, well, that's gonna spread quickly too!! Anyway, everything in moderation. When I know I need to write for a few hours, I turn the stuff off. And ignore my phone. If you need to reach me, leave a message. :0))

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant-eh!
    food for my soul.
    fanks, fanks sistah, sistah!

    ReplyDelete