22.6.11

Ladies: What's your One thing?

Every time I turn on the TV and look at the guide, there's like 20 new wedding shows I haven't even heard of. Now ladies, don't get me wrong, every girl to some extent, enjoys a little wedding show here and there am I right? But here's my concern: is that all we care about?


I found I'm at the age where basically everything around me that is breathing is getting married. Don't let my sarcasm fool you, I think marriage is absolutely amazing and a beautiful and precious gift from God and if you're getting married soon and reading this, congrats!!

But here's the thing, I fear that many young women pursue marriage as though it were their only goal, that must be met while on earth. I fear that women are finding their worth and value in a diamond ring and a pretty white dress. I fear that women are playing a relationship status video game that goes from levels of dating to engaged to finally the ultimate desired goal of marriage.


I write all of this not because I think I know everything. In fact, every day that I have the blessing of waking up, I realize more and more how much I actually don't know. And that I will never be in a place where I have satisfied my knowledge intake. But, things like this always bring me back to the pursuit of Christ and force me to ask myself questions like: What am I living for? What is my one thing? If it's not Christ - it's something else.

Recently I found myself fantasizing about my own wedding day and how I want it to be and look like and what married life would be like. And suddenly, every show I watched, everything I pondered, everything I talked about with other girls, became just that. God brought me to a place of recognizing the idolatry I was indulging in and it hit me right in the stomach (so to speak): my focus shifted from Christ and on something that I can't even guarantee will happen. It's funny how when I look at my sin, it all goes back to the same thing - how can I please myself? How can I find satisfaction in this situation? I know what the answer is, but like a silly sheep I find myself walking around, hitting my head and finding myself back in a familiar place.

You know what the beauty of a situation like this is though? Grace. Sweet, sweet, God-given, grace. When you realize your sin, you can't help but be humbled. And as this process continues, you are slowly being removed from the cheap imitation of a throne that you've created for yourself and you start to see the beauty and majesty of the throne of Christ. When this started to happen to me, I noticed that my prayers began to focus on the glory of God and not myself. My pursuit of the future began to slowly fade away and the urgency of the pursuit of Christ was illuminated.

This is my point in this post: Marriage and starting a family are both wonderful and even Godly desires - but it's when we allow ourselves to be solely focused on this tiresome pursuit of hoping to find some sort of final satisfaction in these things - this is where we need to re-evaluate. Imagine we were women who pursued Christ wholeheartedly, without allowing these things to overwhelm our minds and crowd our agenda? Imagine we were women who hid the word of God in our hearts and lived passionately for the proclamation of the name of Jesus Christ? What if we lived our lives with the view that even if these things don't happen to us we will still be content in Christ and keep our eyes on Him? The thing is, we can't guarantee that we will experience things like marriage or starting a family, but if you are a firm believer in Christ, you have the guarantee of spending eternity with your Savior. Umm hello? Best guarantee ever!

Weddings, marriage, starting a family are all great things to look forward to, but Christ is even better. God knows how often I need to hear that truth (like every second of every day). May my prayer be for Christ to be all that I seek.


This isn't just for the single ladies. It's for everyone. Maybe you're in a relationship, engaged or even married. My question to you is this: What's your One thing?

"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:13-14


melody

2 comments:

  1. melo :) love you and this
    "One thing I have desired of the LORD, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple." - Psalm 27:4

    - natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so beautiful! I completely agree 100% with what you said. I find especially in Bible College there are girls that go there solely to get their "mrs"... I'm sorry but it almost makes me sick. They are not there to learn about God, to learn how to serve him, to learn to grow deeper with him, but to grab a guy and get out. I'm not saying ALL girls go there for that reason, but I've met more than a couple who have admitted it. You're post is something that took me a long long time to realize. God should be our 'one thing' without him everything else is useless. If you find yourself in your partner/your kids/job/friends/etc etc life won't be as fulfilling and satisfying. I truly believe, and this is from personal experience, and you need to be 100% surrendered to God and completely okay with it just being him and you before you can think about bringing a spouse into the picture. If you're trying to seek God and spouse at the same time one of them will fall by the wayside, and there's a good chance it'll be God. It's happened to me before more times than I'd like to admit, and my life was MISERABLE. I so admire your strength and knowing the importance of making God your "one thing" and seeking him before anything... or anyone else.
    ~ Rachel

    ReplyDelete